Thursday 4 January 2018

Delay with Momentary/Latching switch + Tails

Everyone loves a good delay. This one was built for a long time customer one of my earliest customers to be precise.
He requested a delay he could hold his foot on and then let go of it and the delay trails off. I suggested that he add the option of being able to have it latching or momentary and also be able to switch the tails on or off. So here is what I come up with.

First of all I needed to work out how to do the switching in this. I decided to use my little Digispark module PCB I made a while back. I've used Digisparks in a few other projects. They are awesome and can be bought for less that the cost of an ATtiny85 the IC that is on the board. CRAZY HUH!!??. This PCB is v1.0 and has so many flaws so I had to hack it up to make it work. I wrote some small code that gave me inputs from a toggle and a stomp switch and outputs to a relay and dual colour LED.

The control goes like so:
Toggle UP - Latching relay and Green indication LED
Toggle DOWN - Momentary relay and Red indication LED

Digispark module installed

Next I needed to add the Tails module. I also have a PCB designed for this. It usually mounts onto a 3PDT switch. I can't take credit for the schematic I found it on the DIY Stompboxes forum. It's explained thoroughly in the post. It's a summing amplifier that mixes the tails back into the normal signal

Slackers Tails Schematic

Tails Bypass module PCB
Tails module installed
Now that the tails module was in it was time to mount the delay board in. It's just a boring PT2933 based analogy sounding digital delay board. I call it the Delays Ahead.

Everything is in. Ready to test.

Now it's time to test it and make sure the switching and delay works as it should

Powers up ok

Latching
Momentary

After fixing a few issues in the code it was away. Worked perfectly. Foot on the switch with the toggle down and it gives delays until foot is lifted off and then trails off until there are no more repeats. Toggle up works as latching. Second toggle enables and disables the tails.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that pedal was send out to it's owner and he was very pleased with the outcome. A few months past I decided that I should remove the toggle to change modes between latching and momentary by just using the switch. I wrote some new code and tried it out on my test Digispark module. I've developed this switching for a new chaos delay I'll be working on in 2018. If you aren't familiar with my Chaos Delay it is a PT2399 delay with oscillation based on the Rebote 2.5 circuit.

So with this new switching method I'll be able to use the delay for momentary like the above pink delay and also use the switching for the "Chaos" mode where it enables the self oscillation.

Click = Latching click on/off
Hold =Momentary. While being held output is on. Once switch is let go output is off.

Keep an eye out for projects with this switching method in them.

















1 comment: