Saturday 29 July 2017

Testing my PCBs easily

A while back I designed my own EAGLE CAD part for the interconnect between the 3PDT PCB and effect PCB a while back to make it easy to link up my boards.

My custom part. IN GROUND V+ OUT

To test my finished PCBs I would solder 4 leads on and wire the completed board into my test rig. I had a bit of a brain wave today and thought up of a device that could clamp over the pad that would be permanently wired to my test rig. I had a bit of a look around in my junk boxes and found a bulldog clip. The custom part I made has a 2.54mm spacing between pads which is the same as vero board. 
Pin header, Vero scraps and a bulldog clip
I glued the bits of vero to the inside of the bulldog clip with some loctite 401. Soldered the pin header at the end of one of the vero strips. Drilled 2mm holes on the other vero strip. Soldered some tails onto it and it's ready to go.
Finished clamp
Mouth open
Clamped onto the PCB
Clamped on to the PCB

So the clamp works pretty well. By using big grunty solder blobs on the pin header they make good contact with the pads. They took some adjusting to get right. I've checked this with a multimeter on the resistance scale and got readings between 0.2Ω and 0.4Ω on all 4 points back to spots on the PCB. Will test it out with an amp when I get a chance. The beauty of this thing is it will work on all my PCBs that I get made up so I can test quickly before boxing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment